Goodbye, Saint. :(

I’ve been stalling.  I have not wanted to write this post.  Too final?  Knowing it will bring tears back to my eyes?  But, I must write.  I will try to make a long story short.  I can’t make it sweet, but I can make it short.

Friday, Saint, our beagle, was attacked in our yard by the neighbor’s two dogs.  Another neighbor drove by as it was happening.  I was not home.  She bravely separated the dogs – and I do mean bravely.  The one that had Saint by the throat was a pit bull.  She then proceeded to load Saint up in her truck and take him to the veterinarian’s.  I had not met this neighbor before.  She showed us such love, compassion and bravery.

Shock that he even survived the attack.  Surgery on extensive wounds.    Compassion and kindness from our veterinarian and his personnel.

Saint passed away Saturday night.

My oldest son came home from college to bury Saint Sunday morning in my Mom’s timber, where all our beloved pets are buried.

Strangely, oh-so-strangely, I had taken many photographs just that Friday morning.  I was trying to capture the beauty of the frost on a crisp, fall morning.  The dogs, Hunter and Saint, posed for me, together…which is hard to capture.

We believe that Saint may have been the sacrifice for preventing this happening to a child, adult or livestock.  We are grateful for his spunky, happy life.

DSC_0726DSC_0724

This entry was posted in Country Living, Grief and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Goodbye, Saint. :(

1. Bill says:

Sorry about your dog, Marla. Pitbulls are a menace. Thank God it wasn’t a child that was attacked. I hope your neighbors destroy their killer dogs and offer to pay your vet bills.

2. Judy says:

Saint will be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge. He was well loved.

The Rainbows Bridge Poem

RainbowBridge.com
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….

Author unknown…

3. Melinda says:

This makes me sad, Marla. Is this the dog that Levi gave to you for Valentine’s Day a few years ago? Or is this the one you already had?

4. Michelle Hatfield says:

Troy told me about this, how awful…. I would be heartbroken too. I’ll send an extra little prayer your way for Saint.

5. Barb Uebelacker says:

I’m so sorry to hear that, Marla.I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. It must be difficult too for Hunter, who will grieve in his own special way. Give him extra pets from me.

6. shygirlari says:

Reblogged this on my own life through my own eyes and commented:
    I am sorry for your loss

7. Paula says:

Sorry for your loss. He will be waiting for you
    at the Rainbow Bridge.

8. How heartbreaking. I wonder what set the pitbull off? I’m always seeing on Facebook that they aren’t dangerous. I will sent comfort prayers to you and Saint.

9. Dennis says:

This is very sad. Our pets are not only friends, they belong to our family. They go along with us in life in beautiful but also difficult times.Today I have a cat but in the past we had a dog as well. She passed away over a decade ago and I still can remember how it hurted my heart. Today I still have some photos of her in a picture frame. I am not sad anymore when I see her on the photo. I am rather proud and happy that I met her in life. Anyway I know how your family must feel now. Theirfor I want to show my condolence although I am afraid that it might make you lose more tears now.

10. That’s a sad thing indeed. I had a Schnauzer torn up by a Rottweiler several years ago.

11. That is heartbreaking, I’m sorry to hear it. It is wonderful that you had a neighbour that you hadn’t yet met that was willing to step in to help, but very unfortunate that your dog didn’t make it.

Oh, Marla. I’m so sorry to hear this. I know you are missing your buddy. What a great neighbor you have.

13. I’m so sorry this has happened to you. It is so hard to lose a pet, especially this way. Sending hugs your way.
    Brenda

14. Jessica Fox says:

Marla, I am so sorry for your loss. Sending happy thoughts and hugs your way. I know Saint has joined several of my former fur family members and have no doubt that they are in a wonderful place!

15. I was so sad to read this. I didn’t have pets growing up and now I’m inundated. They truly do become your family. Hope you are comforted by the new calf.

16. I am sorry for the loss of your Saint.