Magazines have been shouting at me the best ways to prepare for and celebrate the holidaze for months now. However, I don’t have time to read their advice because I am list-making, decorating, shopping, wrapping, baking,
cleaning, hanging lights, list-checking and searching for money.
As I picked up my son’s latest, If It Moves, Kill It magazine, I noticed yet another holiday injustice. The “men’s” magazines do not dwell on holiday preparations … There are no titles along the lines of:
- How to decorate for deer-camp on a dime.
- Three-month checklist for preparing for the best hunting season ever.
- Recipes you must make with ingredients you have never heard of, let alone know where to
- Make ice-fishing memories with your kids by trying these cute ice-cutter designs!
- Stress-free deer stands!
- How to shop for bargain bullets.
- How to build muscle using proper lifting techniques of Christmas shopping purchases.
- Proper etiquette for those tricky questions asked at deer-camp.
- Decorating a deer stand like never before!
- What to wear for every hunting occasion!
- Holidaze sports television schedules for everyone.
- Ankle or knee-high insulated camo boots for this season?
As I ponder these differences, I am glad I haven’t had time to read my magazines. They would have stressed me out over all the preparations I am either A) doing incorrectly or B) not doing at all.
There are holidaze lessons to be learned from my men, now that I think about it:
- If you enjoy it; do it.
- If you don’t enjoy it; sleep in.
- Last-minute preparations can provide a rush.
- Family and friends.
- Who cares what the house/shed/garage/camp looks like?
- Dress for the weather/comfort – not to impress.
- If they don’t eat what you have, they’ll survive.
- Beer. The brand really doesn’t matter. Nor does the container. Beer is about camaraderie.
- “Bring-your-own” is a perfectly acceptable philosophy.
I have one last holiday tip before I close my rant. Beat them to the punch. Before they can ask the question, “What are we having for dinner?” … ask them that question!!
Last year’s holidaze rant can be read here: https://justmakethecoffee.com/2012/12/27/santa-is-a-woman/